Home Remedies for BPH
This article is about BPH, causes, symptoms and some of the home remedies that can be followed by all for better health.
BPH: Benign prostatic hyperplasia- The prostate is a male sex gland. Prostate gland is a firm, partly muscular, partly glandular body that is situated about the base of the mammalian male urethra and secretes an alkaline viscid fluid which is a major constituent of the ejaculatory fluid. BPH or Prostate enlargement is the benign growth of the prostate gland. BPH is a condition in which an overgrowth of prostate tissue pushes against the prostatic urethra and the bladder, blocking the release of urine. In this article one will hear more about how to alleviate BPH conditions by use of certain home remedies.
Home remedies for BPH -
- Pumpkin seeds are advisable. These seeds are a rich source of zinc. Researchers show that pumpkin seed oil contains a compound, which helps to slow down the growth of prostate. The oil contains carotenoids.
- Soya products are also advisable. Soya based foods help to prevent the growth of capillaries forming around the prostate.
- Eat tomatoes daily. Lycopene is a bioflavonoid extracted from tomatoes. It reduces dribbling.
- Zinc is advisable in BPH disorders.
- People should eat foods which are rich in Vit E like green leafy vegetables.
- Drink carrot juice.
- Spinach juice is beneficial for BPH.
- Flaxseed oil is often recommended for maintaining prostate health.
- Take juice of Awla or Indian gooseberry.
- Drink plenty of water daily.
- Take juice of Purple grapes.
- Avoid Caffeine, sodas, fried foods containing hydrogenated oils, alcohol, spicy and acidic foods.
- For relief of BPH conditions, the herbal compounds formulated containing tonic herbs (also useful for male reproductive system, as a diuretic and also as an antiseptic for the urinary tract) like Tribulus terrestris or Puncture vine is useful. It is useful in painful Micturition and Crystalluria. Tribulus is also available as an herbal supplement.
- Zinc is the key nutrient for hormonal metabolism, testosterone production and sperm formation. Zinc has been shown not only to reduce the size of the prostate but also to inhibit the potent Androgen, DHT – that causes overproduction of Prostate cells. Ref- Robyn Landis, Herbal Defence, 1997, 235, 238, 240.
- Zen mays or Corn silk soothes and relaxes the lining of the urinary tubules and bladder, relieving irritation, improving urine flow and its elimination from bladder. It is also helpful in giving relief from frequent urination and difficulty in passing urine symptomatic of BPH conditions.
- Pygeum africanum or Pygeum Bark is an herb native to Africa. The Pygeum Phytosterols reduce prostaglandin medicated inflammation; pentacyclic triterpenoids reduce swelling due to water accumulation in prostate, linear alcohols lower cholesterol levels in prostate. All the components of Pygeum work in a complementary and synergistic manner while fighting the symptoms and causes of BPH. This is one of the better natural remedies for BPH.
- Saw Palmetto or Serenoa repens extract, not only blocks the formation of DHT more effectively, but also inhibits the binding of DHT at cellular binding sites, reducing the tissue uptake of both testosterone, as DHT causes cells to over multiply. It may prevent the synthesis of certain prostaglandins and leukotriens hormonal messengers that prompt inflammatory responses. Ref: Herbal Defence, Murray Michael, Saw palmetto Nature’s answer to an enlarged prostate, Health counselor, Vol 6, no 4.
I hope the home remedies listed above for BPH are useful to most men. In many situations it is advisable to seek the help of a Medical Doctor.
By Satya Narayana
Dr. Satya Narayana is the moderator and editor of this article originally written by Dr. Veena Deo, an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. To consult Dr. Satya Narayana, please send an email to email@example.com