Home Herbal remedies for Dandruff
This article is about Dandruff, causes, and some of the home and herbal remedies that can be followed by all for better health.
Dandruff: scurf that forms on the skin especially of the scalp and comes off in small white or grayish scales.
Causes: Poor blood circulation in the head, too oily head, poor nutrition, deficiency of zinc, fungus, yeast infections etc.
To deal with the problem of Dandruff, let us discuss about the home and herbal remedies that would be helpful.
- Take apple juice and warm water in equal quantity. Apply it on the hair. Then leave it for 10 minutes. Then wash the hair.
- Application of processed henna powder is advisable.
- Apply juice of lime on the head and then wash it. Lime acts as an antioxidant.
- Olive oil is a natural moisturizing agent. Take lukewarm olive oil. Apply on the scalp in circular motion. After one hour, wash it with mild hair shampoo.
- Soak lemon peels and Shikakai (Acacia concinna) in boiling water. Keep this for 5 to 6 hours. Then strain it. Use this mixture to rinse hair after shampooing.
- Apply Aloe vera gel on the scalp, leave it for 15 minutes. Then wash the hair.
- Lemon juice along with yogurt is an effective topical application against dandruff.
- Add more vegetables and fruits to your diet.
- Brush lightly and regularly
- Tea tree oil has a beneficial effect in helping dandruff.
- Wash hair regularly twice a week to check the production of sebum (keeps hair oily and moist) which helps prevent the hair from drying out.
- Boil Bhangra or Eclipta alba leaves in sesame oil for about 15 minutes. After one hour strain it. Gentle massage of this oil on the head for one hour is advisable. After one hour of the massage, shampoo the hair.
- Neem or Azadirachta indica is known for its antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial properties. So apply the paste of Neem leaves on the scalp. Keep this paste on the scalp for about 15 minutes, and then wash the hair.
- Apply the mixture of Rosemary oil and coconut oil to the scalp to help with Dandruff.
- Soak rosemary leaves in boiled water. Let it stand overnight, strain and add vinegar to it. After shampooing, wash your hair with this.
- Soak a handful Fenugreek or Methi seeds in water. Keep it overnight. Then make a paste of these seeds. Apply this paste on the scalp. Leave it for 15minutes. Rinse your hair with Shikakai or Acacia concinna.
- Take a diet rich with zinc and Vit B.
- The daily massage with coconut oil is advisable. After massaging wash the hair.
- Beat egg whites, add lemon juice to it. Apply it on the scalp; leave it for about ½ an hour before washing the hair with a shampoo.
- Take flaxseed oil every day. It provides omega 3 fatty acids, which helps to control scalp irritation.
- Stress affects the skin and scalp, so get stress relief supplements.
- Avoid fried food, sugar, chocolate.
Vitamins and Minerals for Dandruff -
- Selenium is beneficial for hair and scalp. Antidandruff shampoos contain this substance. Food sources include Wheat germ, walnuts, Brazil nuts, Radish, and Garlic.
- Vitamin H or Biotin is essential for healthy scalp and hair, as per the University of Maryland Medical center.
- Zinc - If you one has a deficiency of zinc, they may face problems like hair loss, dandruff or Psoriasis.
- Deficiency of Iron leads to hair fall, hence for healthy hair, iron is required.
- Vitamins B3, B6, B5, stimulate a healthy hair growth and stimulate the scalp.
I hope the home and herbal remedies listed above for Dandruff are useful to all people. In many situations it is advisable to seek the help of a Medical Doctor.
By Satya Narayana
Dr. Satya Narayana is the moderator and editor of this article originally written by Dr. Veena Deo, an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. To consult Dr. Satya Narayana, please send an email to email@example.com