Home Herbal remedies for Dandruff
This article is about Dandruff, causes, and some of the home and herbal remedies that can be followed by all for better health.
Dandruff: scurf that forms on the skin especially of the scalp and comes off in small white or grayish scales.
Causes: Poor blood circulation in the head, too oily head, poor nutrition, deficiency of Zinc, fungus and yeast infections, etc.
Dandruff herbal remedies-
- Mix apple juice and warm water in equal quantity. Apply this on the hair, leave it for 10 minutes and then wash the hair.
- Application of processed Henna powder is advisable.
- Apply juice of lime on the head and then wash it. Lime acts as an antioxidant.
- Olive oil is a natural moisturizing agent. Take lukewarm olive oil apply on the scalp in circular motion. After an hour, wash it with mild hair shampoo.
- Soak lemon peels and Shikakai in boiling water. Keep this aside for 5 to 6 hours, strain it and use this mixture to rinse hair after shampooing.
- Apply Aloe vera gel on the scalp, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash the hair.
- Lemon juice along with yogurt is an effective topical application against dandruff.
- Add more vegetables and fruits to diet.
- Brush lightly and regularly.
- Tea tree oil has a beneficial effect in helping with dandruff.
- Boil Eclipta alba leaves in sesame oil for about 15 minutes. After an hour strain it and gently massage this oil on the head. After an hour of massage, shampoo the hair.
- Neem is known for its antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial properties. So apply the paste of Neem leaves on the scalp. Keep this paste on the scalp for about 15 minutes, and then wash the hair.
- Apply the mixture of Rosemary oil and coconut oil to the scalp to help with Dandruff.
- Soak Rosemary leaves in boiled water. Let this stand overnight, then strain and add vinegar to it. After shampooing, wash hair with this mix.
- Soak a handful Fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Then make a paste of these seeds and apply this paste to the scalp. Leave it for 15minutes and rinse the hair with shampoo.
- Take a diet rich in Zinc and Vit B.
- The daily massage with coconut oil is advisable. After massaging wash the hair.
- Beat egg whites, add lemon juice to it. Apply it on the scalp and leave it for about ½ an hour before washing the hair with a shampoo.
- Take flaxseed oil every day. It provides omega 3 fatty acids, which helps to control scalp irritation.
- Stress affects the skin and scalp, so get stress relief supplements.
- Avoid fried food, sugar, chocolate.
Vitamins and Minerals for Dandruff -
- Selenium is beneficial for hair and scalp. Antidandruff shampoos contain this substance. Food sources include Wheat germ, walnuts, Brazil nuts, Radish, and Garlic.
- Vitamin H (Biotin) is essential for healthy scalp and hair.
- Zinc - If one has a deficiency of this, they may face problems like hair loss, dandruff or Psoriasis.
- Deficiency of Iron leads to hair fall, hence for healthy hair, iron is required.
- Vitamins B3, B6, B5, stimulate healthy hair growth and stimulate the scalp.
I hope the home and herbal remedies listed above for Dandruff are useful to all people. In many situations it is advisable to seek the help of a Medical Doctor.
By Julie Solomon
Julie Solomon is one of the co-founders of Herbal Destination and is the editor of this page; originally written by an Ayurveda expert. Please email her with any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.